Get ready to see Main Street in Zachary taken over by scarecrows of all shapes and sizes! As you visit downtown Saturday, November 7th through Friday, November 13th, you will be greeted by scarecrows lining the street. You'll have a chance to be a part of the fun by creating your own scarecrow as part of the invasion! Entries are open to everyone - families, schools, business, nonprofits. You won't want to miss out on the fun!
Not feeling crafty? We still need you to vote! In person voting will take place downtown from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm on Saturday, November 7th. In person votes are $1 each. Online voting (through our website) will be available until 12:00 pm on Sunday, November 8th. Online votes are 6 votes for $5.
The winner of our Scarecrow Invasion will receive bragging rights and a fancy ribbon!
Registration will take place online. Simply login to your ZEPTO account. Go to the "My Account" tab. Select "My Forms/Paperwork" from the dropdown menu. You don't have to be a member of ZEPTO to register for the Scarecrow Invasion.
Please note: Scarecrows' locations will be randomly assigned. Participants will be informed of their assigned spot via email once the deadline for registration is complete.
The deadline to register is Sunday, November, 1st.
Scarecrow Invasion 2020 Rules and Restrictions:
- Installation must take on Saturday, November 7th from 7:30 am - 8:30 am. Participants will be required to check in with ZEPTO prior to installing their scarecrow.
- Scarecrows should be family friendly and free from gory images, sexual conduct, political views.
- Participants are required to make the basic form/structure of the scarecrow.
- Signage, if applicable, must be physically attached to the scarecrow and may be no larger than 18” by 24”. Signs are not allowed to be installed or staked into the ground. Signs staked in the ground will be removed. Signs can be staked into a prop that goes along with the Scarecrow display.
- Scarecrow lot size is 6 ft wide. Depth of lot varies depending on location of scarecrow.
- No Bales of Hay or Pine Straw are allowed. No real pumpkins are allowed, artificial only.
- Rebar or wooden/metal landscaping stakes are recommended to secure displays because of the potential for winds/severe weather during the course of the event. Maximum size of rebar or stakes is 1” (diameter or square) in order to protect underground utilities. Scarecrows are not permitted to be attached to existing sign poles, light poles, utility poles, or other vertical structures.
- No structures are allowed as a part of the display. Structures are defined as being larger than or the same size as the actual Scarecrow in your display. Props are allowed in your display
- Participants are responsible for the removal of their scarecrows/props. All displays must be removed by the end of the day on Friday, November 13th. If not, displays will be disposed of and violators will be disqualified from future events.
Remember, participants are responsible for making the basic form/structure of their scarecrow. You can use a t-post, scrap wood, or pvc pipe. Or, you can get creative... soccer balls, decorative pumpkins, or anything else that fits your theme. See below for a few ideas to get you started!